Job Description for Scrub / OT Nurse Job in Malta (Europe)
- Department – Theatre
- Reports to – Head of Department
In this nursing role, you will prepare the operating room for the patient, setting up the tools and making sure the field is sterile. It is the duty of the scrub nurse to assist the surgical team by donning sterile masks, gloves and gowns as well as aid the physician by passing instruments during surgery. It is essential to maintain a high standard of nursing care. The role should be carried out in professional manner and in accordance with Hospital protocols and consultants’ preferences.
Key Role & Responsibilities for Scrub / OT Nurse Job in Malta
- The tasks of the Theatre Scrub Nurse involve making sure all necessary equipment is available for surgical procedures prior to surgery and also to ensure the theatre and its areas are maintained to the required standard before, during and after surgery. It is imperative that a sterile environment is maintained at all times.
- Other responsibilities include ensuring adequate levels of stock are maintained within theatre and to complete all swab checks and instrument checks in accordance with the company policy.
- Assisting the surgeon by taking on the surgical procedures of draping instrumentation and any requirements that are expected within the role and taking part and enforcing World Health Organisation’s ‘Safe Surgical Checklist’ will be expected.
- Providing a clear and concise pre/post operation handover from Ward/Recovery Nurse is expected to ensure a smooth transition for the patient and also ensuring medical staff orders are correctly interpreted and carried out.
Essential Criteria for Scrub / OT Nurse Job in Malta
- Recognised degree in nursing
- Current licensure as a registered nurse with the Nurse and Midwifery Council of Malta
- Extensive knowledge of nursing care methods and procedures
- Knowledge of emergency care
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, families and all medical and hospital staff
- A team player with effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Be responsible and compassionate
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Good time management
- Excellent organisation skills
- Professional and friendly attitude.
- It is essential that the Theatre Scrub Nurse keeps up to date on nursing trends and techniques and also abides by company policy and protocol. It will be necessary to work in either Sliema or Zabbar as and when needed and adhere to the company’s health and safety policy at all times.
- In addition, it will be expected that the Theatre Scrub Nurse will carry out other departmental duties as required and when requested by his/her immediate supervisor, including any other duties that may be required by the company from time to time.
- Salary – €29650 including allowances.
- Emergencies are paid extra.
- Overtime is paid at overtime rate;
- Leave and sick leave as per law;
- Free meal on each duty
- Contract is for a minimum of 2 years (2-year definite contract)