Job Description for Ward Staff Nurse Job in Malta (Europe)
- Department – Clinical – Wards
- Reports to – Nursing Officer/Head of Department
Nurses care for people who are sick, injured, convalescent or disabled. Nurses deliver individualised care to patients utilising the nursing processes of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation and evaluation, in accordance with established nursing practice, ethics and Hospital Policies. Nurses need to monitor patients, administer medication, maintain records, consult with healthcare providers, and also educate patients. Nurses collaborate with other professional healthcare disciplines to ensure safe and effective patient care delivery and achievement of the desired patient outcomes. Nurses need to interact with the patient, relatives and the multidisciplinary team whilst maintaining a high standard of professional nursing. Hospital Nurses provide care for adult medical and surgical patients, and also to paediatric patients with medical and/or surgical ailments.
Key Roles & Responsibilities to provide a High Standard of Nursing Care
- Provide bedside care for a wide variety of medical patients, including pre- and post-surgery patients.
- Consult and coordinate with the health care team to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care.
- Assess, implement, plan and evaluate nursing care plans by working collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Record and maintain accurate and complete health care records including vital signs and medical information.
- Monitor, report and record symptoms or changes in the patients’ condition.
- Prepare and administer medications as prescribed and record all entries of medication administration accurately.
- Report any suspected adverse drug reaction immediately to the medical team and pharmacist.
- Initiate and provide education accordingly to patients and relatives on how to manage their illness/surgery and emphasising on home care needs.
- Accompany specialists during ward rounds and ensure that changes in patient care are communicated to colleagues.
- Respond immediately to life-saving/emergency care situations.
- Actively lead and participate in the discharge planning process.
- Foster a supportive and compassionate environment to care for patients and their families.
Other Roles & Responsibilities for Ward Staff Nurse Job in Malta
- To establish and maintain good working relationships with all departments in the Hospital.
- To be courteous and professional, at all times, with both clients, colleagues and service providers.
- To report all incidents and accidents appropriately and to write out reports accordingly and in a timely manner.
- To abide by Company policies and protocols, at all time, and to ensure implementation of new protocols, as required.
- To carry out other departmental duties as required and requested within the remit of a professional nurse.
- To supervise and coordinate activities of the junior nursing staff/health care assistants.
- To assist with the induction of new staff.
- To be responsible and accountable for own nursing practice and actions.
- To report breakages and malfunctioning equipment to the Nursing Officer or the relevant department (Biomedical or Engineering).
- To ensure a safe hygienic environment is maintained for the benefit of patients/clients, staff and visitors.
- To contribute to the general management and day to day workings of the unit by being an effective member of the clinical team and supporting senior staff.
- To maintain and develop professional knowledge and competence. Ensure all mandatory training is current and updated accordingly.
- To participate in standard Setting and Quality Assurance Programmes for the unit.
- To remain flexible, at all times, with regards to shift rotation.
Essential Criteria for Ward Staff Nurse Job in Malta
- Recognised degree in nursing
- Current licensure as a registered nurse with the Nurse and Midwifery Council of Malta
- Extensive knowledge of nursing care methods and procedures
- Knowledge of emergency care
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, families and all medical and hospital staff at all levels of the organisation
- A team player with effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Responsible and compassionate
- Basic computer skills
- Good time management
- Excellent organisation skills
- Professional and friendly attitude.
Terms for Ward Staff Nurse Job in Malta:
- Salary – €30500 including allowances, Sundays and Public Holidays.
- Overtime is paid at overtime rate;
- Leave and sick leave as per law;
- Free meal on each duty.
- Contract is for a minimum of 2 years (2-year definite contract)